How Cycling Helps Your Body and Mind
We are usually recommended to ride bicycles instead of using cars or motorbikes at environmental events or campaigns. The act is obvious good for the environment so that activists or people who love nature promote bicycles than cars/motorbikes. And good environment means good health, no one can debate that. That’s how cycling indirectly helps our body.
However, is it just about environment and good health result from fresh nature? No it is not. As you can catch a glance of many bicycles at the gym you go to or at some friends’ house or on sport shows, riding a bicycle as also called cycling or biking is a fitness exercise as well as a sport. It is special exercise since your tool may be transportation (the ones in gym are not transportation) which let you move places to places. So, you can easily have chances to practice as we always have to go there from here, don’t we?
Cycling is popular, it is a competitive sport, a fitness exercise, a mean to go to work or places. It is also good for environment as cycling will reduce smoke.In facts, you can see cycling almost everywhere. As popular as it is, do you know how cycling helps our body so that so much people practice it and vote for it?
As we get older so does our balance. Older adults are easily to fall and falling causes injuries.We know that cycling needs balance elements since if we’re not carefully manage the bike, we’ll fall. But, can cycling improves balance?
A research posted at Environmental and Public Health Journal of Hindawi in 2013by a group of researchers has clarified whether cycling helps improve balance in older adults,“We found that older adults who had cycled recently and those who cycled for over an hour a week performed better than non riders or infrequent cyclists on measures of static and dynamic balance, important predictors of falls risk”. Even though there are some factors affect the conclusion but “the results suggest that cycling is a potential falls prevention strategy for healthy older adults who are able to ride a bicycle”. It is a simple deduction that cycling helps the old improve balance then so will be the young.
Cycling has many benefits for health such as:
- Strength: Strength is always what you get when you do physical practice. With each practices, each specific parts of your body will be focused to build strength and muscle. With cycling, your lower body will be focused which includes abdomen, back, leg.
- Heart:There was a time that cycling was told to easily be the cause of heart attack. But many people said that people who had heart attack while cycling already have their own symptoms and are not allowed to practice much. It is indeed hard to think that a sport causes heart attack if we practice it properly. Cycling helps lower blood pressure, improve circulation of blood as well as reduce bad cholesterol, so as a result, we have healthier heart.
- Immune system: Cycling boost your immune system and prevent small infection like fluor sore throat.
- Reduce pain and prevent diseases: Cycling can reduce the risk of chronic disease as well as lower back pain.
Since cycling is not as intense as other sports, it is quite safe, you are not exposed to the risk of injuries as much as others. Moreover, cycling does put less force onto you joints and practice your hamstrings.
Many people cycle for fitness. Since you use lower body to pedal, make the bicycle move, cycling helps tone your waistline, your back and your leg. That is where cycling builds your muscles too.
180 pound person can burn around 290 – 470 calories when cycling for 30 minutes depends on the intensity and pace. So if you practice properly and casually according to fitness plan. It works as well as other exercise.
Cycling helps your mind be active and fresh. Many researches have claimed that our brain work better if we exercise like a Canadian neuro scientist Brian Christie, PhD has said that when we exercise, we make the production of our neurons double or triple. As a result, some mental benefits can be made for ourselves:
- Couple of minutes for cycling is always a nice boost to your energy and reduce the stress.
- Improve memory, think and react faster as well as being creative.
- Better sleeping.
- Reduce risk of mental illness.
In short, cycling helps we enjoy life more.
Cycling is a unique exercise since it can help your body and minds indirectly through environment we protect and directly through the practice of yourselves. It is less intense than other exercise and have some specific features such as the balance you perform as well as improve by practicing it, the work of your hamstring while pedaling and so on. Cycling helps your body and mind with the ways like other sports as well as its own ways.